Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Whats in a name?

I'm sure many of you have been patiently waiting for me to announce our little bundle has arrived, but alas, we are still waiting, but not so patiently. As the day seems to move farther and farther away and my tummy makes the same move outward, I find myself thinking a lot about his name to be.

1. are people going to hate it? This is part of the reason I've rarely mentioned the name to people and I'm still hesitant to say it out loud even as close as we are, what if people give me that look like "Oh dear, that's an awful name, but I can't let my face show it!" no matter how good you are, you cannot hide that split second of dread that crosses your face when a name is announced. Hopefully all growing up he won't get that look that says "your parents named you what?"

2.How much I hate hearing to the comment "Oh like... Or "That reminds me of..." One person I told even said, "a spoiled rich kid" All things I'm sure I am SO guilty of.

3. I hope he doesn't hate it

4. the biggest of them all, the spelling. I know several people who have had to deal with unique spellings or a name that has a million spellings such as my own. My parents named me Ashlee, with two e's and no y. Which I have always liked not having a y in my name, it felt unique, like my own name and not just a name for the masses, (which of course Ashlee is, its rare that there isn't a co-worker, friend or ward member with my same name) but I cannot tell you how much of my life I've spent saying, "I'm Ashlee a-s-h-l-e-e" even then I still get Ashley, Ashele, Ashlie, Ashleigh, Ashli...the list goes on and on. who knew one name could be spelled so many ways. Its awkward sometimes to correct people, so I often don't say anything, especially when its not a legal/important document, but when I see Ashley Thomas I always think...who is that? I'm Ashlee Thomas. So that is the last thing I want my children to have to deal with.

Trevor has had the same name in mind since before we were expecting. He ran across it in the temple when his sister Randi got married and it's stuck to him like glue. Over time I've grown used to it, and it feels like his name, and I'm so excited to meet him, sooner rather than later I hope.

Stay tuned, the next time you hear from me, it will be with pictures of our baby.

7 comments:

julie said...

I so know how you feel. Some of Brandon's family were pretty rude. It's fine if they don't like it, but to freak out for 6 months straight was almost unbearable. Ugh... anyway, I'm sure your little man will like it...very few people dislike their name. So excited for you--happy birthing!

Kimberly said...

Don't worry--we will love any name you choose. It's the person who defines the name. Not the other way around. Hang in there!

mistielin said...

You're killing me! What's the name? :) I totally know you feel. About the spelling of your own name as well as naming a child. You are so close! Good luck! Can't wait to see pix and learn his name!!!

Amy said...

I can't wait to see pictures and hear his great name! I know how you feel about wanting to choose just the right name. I had doubts about Liam's name until the day he was born. It seemed like such a huge decision! Then, it just fit. I'm sure whatever you've chosen will also fit your little guy!

I'll pray for a good labor experience for you! Hang in there Ash, I know it is so hard to wait!

Juli said...

So what's it going to be, Angus, Hamish, or Lachlan? (Those are all very popular names here in Australia.) I think you are smart to keep it to yourself. It doesn't matter who likes/dislikes the name because once he's born, it's his.

Hang in there. I'll be there soon too! (2 weeks!) We're praying for you (still - we never stop.)

Jenete said...

I so can relate to having a mispelled name. Now I have to spell out both my first and last or people think it is sinclair instead of st.clair. When I went to the hospital to deliver it took almost two hours for them to get me a hospital bracelet because of the period vs space issue. When you put a period in a name thats when things get crazy with forms that are entered electronically. Hope this little guy comes soon The last stretch is the hardest and the worst is when you go past the due date. I was induced a week and a 1/2 after my due date...I was ready to be done being pregnant and ready to meet our baby.

Soo excited to see pictures of your little guy:)

Lisa said...

So, I got a text message from you tonight, but I cannot get it to open! Did you have a baby??? Of course, if you did, I doubt that you would be checking your blog right now. ;) I'll call you tomorrow!