Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, February 26, 2009

A conviction

Since I don't really remember, I haven't watched rated "R" movies. Of course I've seen some, there are even a few good ones out there, but generally I try to steer away from them. The Patterson family has a really good, old family friend who doesn't understand why I've made that choice, and we've had endless debates about why I don't but as I explained to him, that I chose not to do so, not only because prophet said I shouldn't, But because I don't want to, not because of what anyone said.

The other day, I broke my own conviction. I really really wanted to see The Changeling with Angelina Jolie. With a supportive husband by my side, who assured me he would not mention it to aforementioned family friend, we picked up the movie at the Wal-mart Red Box. I felt SO guilty, but I really wanted to see it. Even as we started the movie, I had a feeling of disbelief of what I was about to do... I really wanted to see it. (I must confess, Trevor offered to intervene on my behalf by saying, "Ash, if you are going to hate yourself for watching this, lets turn it off right now") but I persisted, I wanted to see it.

While the movie was really well done, lacked the general violence, gore and sexuality most "R" movies include, I remember why I don't watch rated "R" movies.

Lesson relearned

7 comments:

The Stanford Bunch said...

you should get clearplay, you can watch all the r rated movies you want :)

julie said...

I've been tempted so much for that movie..and another one..but I can't remember which one. I almost gave in. I'm glad you wrote this. Lots of times movies are R because they are just too depressing. Can't handle it.

Anonymous said...

I want to see that movie so bad! I haven't made up my mind yet or not - but I totally understand your sentiment. Those times I decide it's "okay" to watch the R-rated they've been ok - there are few that have made me think that was so worth it.

Emily said...

Let's write Angelina and tell her to go a PG movie. Then her kids can see it.

Suspension Bridges said...

Sometimes we need to be reminded of the bad so we can remember why we stick to the good.

Kimberly said...

Good job Ash! Now you won't be so tempted next time. Wait until your conscience tells you that there are a bunch of PG-13 movies aren't safe either...rats. Since we made the decision it hasn't been so hard.

Anonymous said...

Well, I can't say I am as good as you. My favorite movie is Brave Heart. I only watch the TV version (no nudity). I like the movies with a lot of action, not too bad on swearing or vulgarity, but have a good meaning to them (like fight for freedom or family) Gladiator is another fave...I don't even know if it is R but probably is. I guess I can put up with peoples arms getting chopped off- if it is for a good cause. Sounds weird when said like that. But I agree with Julie on depressing- it isn't like you feel all happy afterward. I still like them though. Haven't watched Changling, but thought it might be good because, again she is fighting for her son. I think that is what it is about anyway. I will hoe hum it out. But will take in your thoughts as I do.